- Senior BoJ Official notes that the Central Bank will take appropriate steps as needed by looking at FX impact on Japan's economy and long-term price trends; montary policy is not directly guided by FX.
- Fourth passenger from Diamond Princess cruise ship has died in Japan; NHK .
- Tianjin University has successfully developed an oral vaccine to protest against coronavirus; the professor who led the project, has taken four doses without any side effects, according to Global Times.
- PBoC sets USD/CNY mid-point at 7.0232 vs. Exp. 7.0255 (Prev. 7.0246)
- BoJ offers to buy JPY 50bln in up to 1yr JGBs, JPY 120bln in 10yr-25yr JGBs and JPY 30bln in 25yr+ JGBs and JPY 30bln in I/L JGBs; all unchanged.
- PRE-MARKET CHINESE STOCK NEWS: US is reportedly still eyeing ways to further curb sales to Huawei, according to sources. (Newswires)
- South Korea reports 60 more cases of new coronavirus, total now at 893, Yonhap reports.
- Japanese Finance Minister Aso says the government is not yet considering additional economic measures to respond to the virus outbreak.
- US Trump Administration is sending Congress a budget request for USD 2.5bln to tackle the virus outbreak, according to Politico; with over USD 1bln for vaccines according to the White House
- China's Hubei province reports 499 new coronavirus cases and 68 additional deaths as of February 24 vs. 398 additional cases and 149 additional deaths on February 23
- PRE-MARKET TAIWAN AND SINGAPORE STOCK NEWS: Singapore Airlines (SIA SP) – Co. plans to cut further flight capacity from February to the end of May. (Newswires)
- Asian stocks trade mixed following the sell-off on Wall Street; Nikkei 225 plays catch-up on return from a long weekend: ASX 200 -2.0%, Nikkei 225 -4.2%, KOSPI Unch
- US NEC Director Kudlow says the US looks well-contained against coronavirus, economy is fundamentally sound, long-term investors should "seriously consider buying these dips", according to Washington Post.
- PRE-MARKET JAPANESE AND SOUTH KOREAN STOCK NEWS: South Korean coronavirus cases soared to 833 with eight deaths reported. (Yonhap); Hong Kong issued a travel alert to South Korea. (Newswires)
- Mastercard (MA) - Cuts Q1 net revenue growth guidance to 9-10% (Prev. "low double-digits) and FY20 net revenue growth to low end of low teens range (Prev. "low double-digits") amid coronavirus.
- United Airlines (UAL) - Withdraws all previously issued 2020 guidance; sees 100% near-term China demand due to coronavirus; sees ~75% decline in near-term trans-paciifc demand; affirms Q1 adj. EPS forecast
- US is reportedly still eyeing ways to further curb sales to Huawei, according to sources.
- South Korea reports 9th coronavirus-related death, via Yonhap TV.
Analysis: Asian Market News for Today 25/02/20
2/25/2020 08:55:00 AM (GMT+6)
Today Asian News: